I am not longer formally working full-time as a researcher. I work full-time in industry, so research is something of a side-thing for now.
PREVIOUS LAB AFFILIATIONS
While I was at Istanbul Technical University I was affiliated with the following research laboratories.
- AIRLab (Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Laboratory)
- Cognitive and Social Robotics Laboratory
- Smart Interaction, Mobile Intelligence, and Multimedia Technologies Lab
DEPTH FROM A SINGLE IMAGE AND APPLICATION TO ROBOTICS
We got part way through a TÜBİTAK-sponsored project on application of deep learning methods for depth from a single image to robot applications before I left academia in 2019. We have lots of ideas to explore still and are still working on them out of the scope of the project; there is never enough time…
SENSORY AUGMENTATION PROJECT
We (about 10 of us, including 2 university staff, 3 graduate students and 5 undergraduate students) finished a TÜBİTAK-sponsored project on sensory substitution. We still have lots of ideas to explore, but time is limited and there is so much to do!
OTHER RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Machine learning.
- Artificial Intelligence.
- Cognitive robotics.
- Computer vision.
- Perception for robotics.
- Integration (reasoning, motion planning, prediction, perception).
- Mobile manipulation.
- Assistive sensing.
- Re-use and abstraction.
- Physical cognition.
- Analogy and metaphor.
- Cognitive modelling.
- Environmental applications.
For publication statistics, see my google scholar profile: http://scholar.google.com.tr/citations?user=vzVMAP0AAAAJ
- Pourghaemi, H., Gholamalizadeh, T., Mhaish, A., İnce, G. & Duff, D.J. (2018). Real-time Shape-based Sensory Substitution for Object Localization and Recognition. Submitted to the Eleventh International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human (ACHI), Rome, France.
- Gholamalizadeh, T., Pourghaemi, H., Mhaish, A., İnce, G. & Duff, D.J. (2017). Sonification of 3D Object Shape for Sensory Substitution: An Empirical Exploration. Presented at the Tenth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human (ACHI), Nice, France. Available at https://www.thinkmind.org/index.php?view=article&articleid=achi_2017_1_40_20089.
- Mhaish, A., Gholamalizadeh, T., İnce, G. & Duff, D.J. (2016). Assessment of a visual to spatial-audio sensory substitution system. Presented at the 24th Signal Processing and Communication Application Conference (SIU), Zonguldak, Turkey. Available at http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=7495723.
- Duff, D. J., (2015). Orientation Averaging Using Spatial Extension. Presented at the Turkish Robotics Conference (TORK), Istanbul, Turkey. Availale at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312197683_Orientation_averaging_using_spatial_extension
- Duff, D.J., Erdem, E., Patoğlu, V. (2013). Integration of 3D Object Recognition and Planning for Robotic Manipulation: A Preliminary Report. Knowledge Representation and Reasoning in Robotics Workshop at ICLP 2013, Istanbul, Turkey. Available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.7466.
- Duff, D. J. (2011, December). Visual motion estimation and tracking of rigid bodies by physical simulation (PhD Thesis). University of Birmingham. Available at http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/2927/.
- Duff, D. J., Mörwald, T., Stolkin, R., & Wyatt, J. (2011). Physical simulation for monocular 3D model based tracking. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation. Presented at the ICRA, Shanghai, China: IEEE. doi:doi:10.1109/ICRA.2011.5980535 – Preprint available at eprints.bham.ac.uk/978.
- Duff, D. J., Wyatt, J., & Stolkin, R. (2010). Motion Estimation Using Physical Simulation. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (pp. 1511–1517). Presented at the ICRA, Anchorage, AL, USA: IEEE. doi:doi:10.1109/ROBOT.2010.5509590 – Preprint available at eprints.bham.ac.uk/977/.
- Johnson, B. W., Hautus, M. J., Duff, D. J., & Clapp, W. C. (2007). Sequential processing of interaural timing differences for sound source segregation and spatial localization: Evidence from event‐related cortical potentials. Psychophysiology, 44(4), 541–551. doi:10.1111/j.1469-8986.2007.00535.x – Available at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2007.00535.x/abstract,
- Duff, D. J., & Guesgen, H. W. (2002). An Evaluation of Buffering Algorithms in Fuzzy GISs. In M. J. Egenhofer & D. M. Mark (Eds.), Geographic Information Science (Vol. 2478, pp. 80–92). Presented at the GIS, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg. Available at http://www.springerlink.com/content/1c27kpfb612uvvfx/.